Friday, May 06, 2005
[UPDATE: I just watched the 11PM news coverage of the protest; the guy in the red poncho screaming about saving the gerbils is Fred's son Jonathon Phelps. We think that the woman holding the 9/11 sign is granddaughter Jael, who was trounced when she ran for an open Topeka City Council seat -- she lost to a lesbian. Ryan Phelps is in the bottom left photo.]
[UPDATE 2: The young woman with the 9/11 sign is actually Sara Phelps, a 24-year-old granddaughter of Fred Phelps, according to the Durham Herald-Sun.]
Guess what? No-show for Fred Phelps at the Durham School of the Arts. The gutless, ball-less Rotting Cryptkeeper wasn't there this evening, but plenty of his supporters and children/grandchildren were there with their filth. Plenty of counter-protesters showed up. There was a ton of drive-by traffic, slowing down for the freakshow. The cops kept the counter-protestors across the street from the Phelps clan, so it was civil. Queer supporters that didn't bring signs were given sheets with "Gay? Fine by me" to hold up in silent protest.
I'll have more pix up later, probably tomorrow after we return to actually attend the play for the matinee. I saw quite a few people I know, including fellow local blogger ae of arse poetica (see her entry here). Kate and I stayed about an hour; I got plenty of good pix, but I was pissed that Fred wasn't there.
I did, however, get completely entertained by this freakshow guy dressed in a red poncho, shouting "Save The Gerbils!" and "Stop the Sh*t-eating Fags" and other random nonsense. He began quoting scripture. It was pathetic.
Earlier posts on the hubbub surrounding this:
* Triumphant production of The Laramie Project in Durham
* Photos from day two of the Phelps Hate Machine in Durham
* Local media coverage of Phelps clan's visit to Durham
* First shots from the Westboro Baptist Church protest in Durham, NC
* Off to see The Rotting CryptkeeperTM Fred Phelps
* Reminder: Triangle folks please buy tix for "The Laramie Project" to counter-protest Phelps
* My dream come true -- Fred Phelps is coming to Durham!
* Daily Kos diary: Westboro Baptist Church protest in Durham, NC